fedora-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 88

Scott Burch scott at bulldoginfo.com
Fri May 7 06:22:58 UTC 2004

> > Because they helped develop and/or write and/or test and/or QA and/or
> > package and/or distribute the software that is the reason why this forum
> > exists?

I may not have been clear in my posts.  I don't mind paying for Linux.  I have
purchased every version of RedHat since 5.2 and I was buying Slackware before
that.  I have purchased a lot of Linux based software and have sent checks to
the open source projects.  I know that freedom in Linux doesn't just mean free.

However, RedHat's new structure is to sell annual support contracts, not to
sell a supported version of Linux.  If you sell me a contract for phone support
then I think I am entitled to at least regular updates, maybe even a callback.

I am not saying that the RedHat engineers are bad.  I believe they are most
likely some of the best.  But, if you are going to change your structure to
sell support, then you need the engine to deliver what you are selling.

I don't give any slack to companies just because they are selling Linux.
Actually, I would like to see companies selling Linux to be held to the
same high standards as Linux itself.

I understand that they are helping to promote Linux, but that doesn't make
me want to support their inability to provide at least the minimum that they
promise.

When I said free in my earlier messages, I was not talking about the Linux
distribution itself.  I was talking about the support.

The customer that I installed the server for now says that "Support is better
with Microsoft".  Gee, they don't seem to understand that we have to cut RedHat
some slack, because they sell Linux...

And, that's all I got to say about that.

Scott