Bittorrent Client ??

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 7 16:14:22 UTC 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 11:59, John Nichel wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> All this talk about BT has me hungering to make it work here.
>> Unforch, this machine is behind another machine running iptables
>> bolted down solidly, as in I could give you my ip address as seen
>> from the network side, and the only thing you'd find there is a
>> closed identd port, everything else doesn't respond.  iptables is
>> doing NAT, MASQUERADING and a  couple more things I've probably
>> forgotten.
>>
>> I have the white DSL modem verizon uses, which is on the LAN port
>> of a linksys BEFSR41 router, regular port 1 of which feeds
>> ethernet card eth0 in the fireall, and the firewall feeds this
>> machine thru eth1. No other cable are plugged into the router at
>> present, although I might have a cable to the workshop computer
>> plugged in there eventually.  Schematicly it looks like this:
>>
>> DSL modem<->LAN port on router<->switch port 1 on router<->eth0 in
>> firewall<->iptables<->eth1 in firewall<->eth0 on this machine
>>
>> I have opened a port range in iptables that BT uses (I think, here
>> is that line from /etc/sysconfig/iptables on the firewall)
>>
>> [0:0] -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport
>> 6881:6889 -j ACCEPT
>>
>> How would I go about running BT under these conditions?
>
>I have almost this same setup ('cept I don't have a hardware
> router...a RH7.3 box acts as my firewall/router).  I had to not
> only put the route in the iptables of the RH box, but had to login
> to the Westel (the white modem I got from Verizon), and make a
> route in there too.

Ok, thats something I've never done, logging into the modem. I do log
into the router once in a while when I'm fighting networking
problems, but they almost always boil down to a portsentry miss-fire
which locks out this machine.  I've added this machines ip to the
portsentry.ignore file and we'll see if that fixes it.

But I've no idea howto log into that modem.  Can you enlighten me?
Verizon wasn't exactly bragging about doing that in the docs I have
here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)