Call for Yum Frontend

Jason Knight tuxpenguin at austin.rr.com
Sat May 8 17:09:30 UTC 2004

Yum is such a great package management program (very well designed
except maybe for having to get all the headers) and stable, yet for some
reason we expect the average home user to bust out his/her x-term and
learn the in's and out's of yum CLI usage? (not to mention config file
management ). Sure you might say, there is apt and synaptic, a
wonderfully userfriendly combination but again: these would require the
usage of yum and text line repo management to install on any stock
fedora system.

I think it is seriously time to consider someone writing a yum frontend
that could be included with the standard fedora desktop. With all of the
gtk library resources available for python (what yum uses) I don't see
it being more than a 'scratching an itch' project. Perhaps we could even
get it out in time for FC3?

Up2date could be used as a framework for which to build the GUI frontend
around and synaptic code could also be used if needed.

I think that this is something that needs to be seriously considered by
developers and red hat people alike. For the betterment of the Fedora
experience.

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 2 Test 3 *x86_64*