Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sat May 8 22:53:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:36:46PM -0400, Bill Diamond wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 01:05, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> >
> > Me?  In 1958 I was keypunching FORTRAN decks for my dad at age 5.
> > Played with computers and teletypes and all sorts of fun stuff all my
> > life.  Began UNIX with Edition 6 in 1978 at Duke, helped with the
> > establishment of Usenet,  consulted at Bell Labs, did the NYC thing for
> > a few years, then a few (15) years as departmental guru.  Hit Linux with
> > kernel 0.94 and Slackware, then RedHat 2.x and have been a RH fan ever
> > since.  I'm only 50, but I've been a computer user for longer than most.
>

> I take it that must have been a bit of a challenge.  I mean, just
> putting a control card on the drum of the 024 would have been a problem
> at that height!

Well, until I got a bit taller, Dad would mount the control card, but
then we got 026 punches. :-)    For somethings they even used a direct
puncher. (Manually index the card to the right column and punch the rows
individually!)

My first assembler/machine language program was on a CDC 160A with a
Frieden Flex-o-writer.  It was an analogue/digital hybrid "minicomputer"
and had 8 1K pages of memory.  Much more I've forgotten.

This is *way* off topic now, but such fun.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'
The Line Eater is a boojum!