boot messages overwritten by run level 3 login

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun May 9 04:53:44 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 8, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha did say:

> The startup of services is recorded in /var/log/messages. As the syslog
> service takes a little time to start, and it isn't start first, some
> messages from the kernel and the starting services get mixed up, but they
> should be all there.
>
> Or, if you don't want to search in log messages, comment the following
> line in /etc/inittab and reboot:
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
>
> (to: #1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1)
>
> You won't be able to login in the first console, but the rest are still
> available (switch to the second by pressing alt+f2).

Thanks Luciano, the problem with /var/log/messages would be that While I
saw briefly some warnings the 1st time I booted the new FC1, I have know
idea which starting service to search for and didn't find anything that
looked like an error in the messages file.

Since I didn't see them on subsequent boots, I'm guessing the warnings
didn't matter this time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try Mathew's suggestion first
though.  Else, I guess I could live with only 5 console screens.