mouse/keyboard hangs with FC1 on Dell Inspiron 7500

Michael mth at mth.com
Sun May 9 08:29:08 UTC 2004

Summary
-------
About once a week this system hangs and stops responding to mouse/keyboard
events.

What can I do to help track down the cause of this intermittent problem?

Detail
------
OS: Fedora Core 1
Desktop manager: Gnome
Hardware: Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop w/P3 750 + 256 MB + 12 Gb
Network: SMC 2632W WiFi

About once a week this system hangs and stops responding to mouse/keyboard
events.

Neither the built-in touchpad nor an external USB mouse works.

ctl-alt-del does not work.

The system does not crash. I can ssh in from another system, kill a few
processes, and the system keeps running.

Once I had to kill OpenOffice. Once I had to kill AOL Instant Messenger.
After doing this the system seems to keep running normally.

The system was recently converted to FC1 from Win2K. To try to rule out
hardware problems, I have run memtest86 for 24+ hours and hard drive
diagnostics for 24+ hours.

I plan on upgrading to the FC2 test releases to see if the behavior
continues.

I have been running RedHat for many years and have FC1 on several other
hardware configs. I have never seen this type of problem.

As I said, when this happens I can get into the system via ssh.

Q: Is there any way that I can try to track down this type of problem?

Q: Can I turn on some type of logging so that I can collect more data?

Q: To me it feels like a driver problem. But then, why is it affecting
both mouse and keyboard?

Q: Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Michael