GRUB blues

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun May 9 11:43:26 UTC 2004

Andre Costa wrote:

>> > I tried installing GRUB on a machine today, and even though I
>> > insisted it should boot from the first partition (/boot on
>> > /dev/hda1), it stopped all the times right after boot with its own
>> > shell prompt. Typing 'root' showed me it was believing "hd0,2" (3rd
>> > partition) was the root partition -- hell knows why it thought that
>> > (faulty BIOS maybe?).

Did you try "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda"
(assuming you want grub installed on the MBR)?

If it still goes to the wrong boot, try
grub> configfile
in your interactive session,
to see where it thinks your grub.conf is.
Maybe the link between /etc/grub.conf and /boot/grub/grub.conf
got broken in some way.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366