hosts file

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun May 9 13:06:20 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:

>I purchased a domain and setup a roundrobin service to host my DSN.
>
>Since X would not start because the dns has not propagated yet, I put
>my FQDN in /etc/hosts
>
># cat /etc/hosts
># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
># that require network functionality will fail.
>127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
>192.168.2.1             darkforce.darkforceteam.net darkforce
>192.168.2.12            darkstar.darkforceteam.net darkstar
>

>Something tells me that perhaps I have something incorrect?  I have
>two interface and am masquerading as darkforce.darkforceteam.net with
>a static ip on eth0.  The eth1 is my localnet.

1.  If you want the hosts to be available on the internet, the IP
address must be set to the internet IP.
     The domain must also be managed by DNS, and you will need a DNS server

>Should I have pointed my FQDN to my static ip or the 192.168...?
>
>As it is, everything works even though my ip doesn't resolve yet.  But
>is this correct?
>
>There was a tool in RH 9 to set the hostname, I cannot find this tool
>in Fedora??? so I edited /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts by
>hand.

redhat-network-config, or from the menu -- start - system settings - network

>I want to be able to access this host by name http://darkforce/ from
>the localnet even if the network is down.
>
>I am also clueless as to what to put in redhat-config-httpd?  I want
>the default to be www. but my machine is named darkforce.domain...
>How do I add ssh.domain.net ftp.domain.net etc to my hosts file?

You will need to set httpd.conf to point to the hostname/IP

You will also need your DNS to define www and ftp as hostnames for the
internet IP