pango vs fedora core 1, gtk afu because pango afu!

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun May 9 22:56:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 09:11, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I just got done with finally fixing pango to run correctly, by hand
> generating a .pangorc file in my root dir.  This has apparently been
> the problem all along & I refused to believe it could be the real
> problem because there are no .pangorc files in either of the
> pango-1.2 rpms.

I have no such .pangorc files and I frequently build GTK apps which rely
on Pango which work perfectly.  From your posts it looks like you are
trying to build custom versions of core desktop components like GTK+,
Pango, etc.  One of the messages complaining about pango shows configure
looking for Pango in the /usr/local/include/pango-1.0 directory.  Fedora
Core puts nothing but empty directories in /usr/local.  Maybe you're
running one of your 3 custom copies of pkg-config.

Pango cflags from an unmodified FC1 installation:
$ pkg-config pango --cflags
-I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include

In that same message you're trying to build GTK+ using checkinstall.
That will almost certainly break every prebuilt FC1 RPM which needs GTK+
and its various components.  And you're apparently building RPMs as root
which is bound to utterly demolish your system sooner than later.

My suggestion would be to write good spec files (or even moderately bad
ones) by hand and dump checkinstall.  Especially if you plan to replace
vital system components.  Or, better, fix the software to work with your
system instead of breaking your system to work with the software.

> This has been very frustrating to me for the last month.  Either the
> installer should see to it this file is generated by whatever means
> is normally used to generate it, or it should be included in the rpm
> distributions.

.pangorc isn't needed unless you're trying to make Pango look somewhere
other than the default location.  Which implies you've built your own
custom Pango which looks in the wrong place.  (e.g. clean out
/etc/ld.so.conf, unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH, fix PATH, etc)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/