How stable is fedora?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon May 10 21:15:31 UTC 2004

At 13:51 5/10/2004, Satish Balay wrote:
>Also fedora-legacy does indicate the legacy-lifetime for FC1 as
>approximately 1.5 years extra. (If I understand the FAQ correctly -
>FC1 legacy support will be stopped when FC4 becomes EOL/legacy)
>
>And the initial poster can stick with RHL7.3 for a while longer (if he
>wishes to) with the fedora-legacy updates.

Several thoughts to consider:

         1. If you believe that Fedora Legacy will be able to provide
patches to RHL-7.3, then you should also believe that they will be able to
provide patches for FC1 for a while longer; hence you should be safe
running FC1.

         2. I do recommend RHEL for servers if you can afford the price. If
you cannot, then I prefer FC1 to other Linux distributions that are
low-cost or no-cost. Note that this preference is partly based on its
stability and robustness, partly on leading-edge (but not bleeding-edge)
package selection, partly on community size and personality, and partly on
#1 above.

         3. If you're asking this now, my answer is "very stable." So wait
another week or so, download FC2 and install *that* when it's released, and
settle down for a year or so of peace and quiet. Note that FC1 was released
on November 5th, 2003 and FC2 will be released roughly on May 17th (6.5
months). So you could probably install FC2, directly supported by the
Fedora Project for roughly 9-10 months, then get patches from Fedora Legacy
for another 3-5 months, then go straight to FC4.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz