openLDAP question

Jeremy Brown jeremy at cadre5.com
Tue May 11 14:16:51 UTC 2004

James B. Byrne wrote:

>I am exploring LDAP on FC1 with the desire to eventually use it to
>register mail accounts for cyrus imapd service.  I am still in the
>"brick wall" portion of the learning curve so I have a lot of
>unanswered questions, but I will start with one.  Why are there two
>(2) ldap.conf files in fedora C1? One is in /etc and the other is in
>/etc/openldap.  Neither bear any resemblance to the other and both
>are touched when ldap is configured from the gnome app that come with
>fedora.

Someone correct me if I'm blatantly wrong, but I believe
"/etc/openldap/ldap.conf" is the OpenLDAP server configuration file,
whereas "/etc/ldap.conf" is read by processes that want to use LDAP, for
example the LDAP PAM module.

>I am reading the OpenLDAP 2.2 admin guide dated 25 Feb. 2004 but I
>must say that I am not having a great deal of success.  I anyone has
>a recipe for getting a plain vanilla openldap install working that
>they are willing to share then I would be most grateful.

I would just install the OpenLDAP server RPMs, then use "ntsysv" to add
"slapd" to your default runlevel.  Or, execute "/etc/init.d/slapd start"
to start the LDAP server immediately.  If you're interested in a nice
interface to LDAP, I like the web-based PHPLdapAdmin client:
http://phpldapadmin.sf.net

If these don't work, or you have a more specific question to ask with
regards to OpenLDAp not working (e.g. "I try to start OpenLDAP and I get
this error message") then please repost to the list with more detail.

Jeremy