openLDAP question

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Tue May 11 15:23:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:05:03AM -0400, James B. Byrne  wrote:
> I am exploring LDAP on FC1 with the desire to eventually use it to
> register mail accounts for cyrus imapd service.  I am still in the
> "brick wall" portion of the learning curve so I have a lot of
> unanswered questions, but I will start with one.  Why are there two
> (2) ldap.conf files in fedora C1? One is in /etc and the other is in
> /etc/openldap.  Neither bear any resemblance to the other and both
> are touched when ldap is configured from the gnome app that come with
> fedora.

The /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file is read by the OpenLDAP libraries,
which works out to affecting almost every LDAP-using application on the
system.  The /etc/ldap.conf file is read only by nss_ldap and pam_ldap,
and contain settings which affect their behavior specifically.  (The
naming is unfortunate but historic at this point.)

The system-config-authentication module modifies both because they're
generally expected to have the same values for settings which they share
(the name of your directory server, for example).

HTH,

Nalin