[OT] Solaris Sparc License (was: Fedora on SUN Ultra sparc10)

Luc Bouchard luc at luker.on.ca
Tue May 11 16:03:28 UTC 2004

T. Ribbrock said:
> purchase a media kit. You can use the software for non-commercial usage
> on single processor systems supplied to you by Sun or its authorized
> distributors or based on the x86 architecture.
> </quote>
>
> Note the last sentence.

Our local Sun rep did not make this out to be an issue.  I'll check with him again and
get the current stance from Sun.  The program was originally put out there to help
"flood" development workstations with Sun product.  That philosophy may have changed.

> The *safe* choice therefore is Linux or one of the BSDs[0] if you want to
> use the box legally and without additional cost.

Don't get me wrong RH9 ran beautifully on our Ultra10 dev box, better than Slowaris.

Luc