Snort.org on Fedora

Callan K L Tham miburo at singnet.com.sg
Tue May 11 16:55:36 UTC 2004

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 23:05, Tim Alberts wrote:
> I was looking for a replacement for the trisentry (portsentry, hostsentry,
> logcheck) that is being maintained and doesn't have licensing issues when I
> found snort.org.  From what I've been able to learn so far  it seems to be a
> very robust, well developed and supported IDS program.  My questions are:
>
> 1.  Why isn't snort included with Fedora?  What is Fedora's IDS software (if
> any)?

Not too sure about that, but Snort works wonderfully with FC :)

> 2.  Has anyone tried to use snort with Fedora and how well does it work?

As I mentioned above, it works great. There are several howtos out there
detailing setup for snort + RH (not much difference from FC) + ACID, and
it's not difficult to set up at all.

> 3.  Does anyone know of any other good IDS programs that will also
> automatically link with iptables to dynamically block attacks?

AFAIK, only snort works well with iptables with the inline patch. Google
for snort-inline and iptables, and you should find some good
documentation.

Cheers,
Callan