Firefox and Thunderbird

Peter Silcock smallcreep at quista.net
Tue May 11 16:59:09 UTC 2004

Just recently I started using Thunderbird again in preference to the
mail client I had been using for some months (Evolution). Unfortunately,
if I start Thunderbird first, Firefox bombs out with the message "The
file /content/navigator.xul cannot be found. Please check the location
and start again". If Firefox is already running, I can create new
instances from the active window but not from the command line (or menu).

Sometimes the problem clears if I terminate Thunderbird then start
Firefox, but after a couple of goes the error message appears all the
time. Incidentally the same problem affects Mozilla.

I have seen this problem mentioned before (on a Red Hat bulletin board)
and a similar problem affecting different modules has been reported
elsewhere in MozillaZine. The tenor of the responses is "known bug" and
then silence.

One workaround (OK so far!) for RPM installs is to run Thunderbird using
the script in /usr/bin, but use /usr/lib/firefox/firefox to start the
browser.  Presumably hand-crafted installs in /usr/local or wherever do
not experience this difficulty.

(Running Firefox 0.8, Thunderbird 0.6 on Fedora Core 1).

Peter Silcock