restoring FC1 to *new* partition from tar archive

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed May 12 02:26:57 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 9, Jeff Vian did say:

> In my many years of experience I have never used the numeric option, and
> seldom used the -p option
>
> I routinely use tar -cvf  (or czvf) to create the file and tar -xvf (or
> xzvf) to extract it.
>
> AFAICT the numeric UID/GID is stored in the file from the source system,
> and the numeric UID/GID is extracted with the file on the destination
> system.  On systems where the username/UID pair from the source does not
> match the username/UID pair from the destination, the file on the
> destination is owned automatically by the user with the UID of the
> original file.
>
> I can and have tested this repeatedly and have found nothing unusual as
> long as I remember that the ownership for extracted files will go to the
> user with the matching UID and not necessarily to the matching username.
> If there is no username that has a matching UID then the ownership
> displays as the numeric UID  (see my earlier post on this for an example)
>
> There are many options for tar that I seldom use and thus am not
> familiar with.  But in my experience, your results are common.  YMMV

Well Thank you Jeff. For most purposes I two would probably use the same
options you do. Though it's only recently that I started using the z
option instead of manually "gzip"ing And "gunzip"ing the tar file.

But in this case I certainly wanted to preserve all permission settings
Thus the -p...

Your description does help me understand the process a little better.

Thanks!