Root access removed

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed May 12 08:38:48 UTC 2004

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 May 2004 09:32, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
>>/etc/fstab controls the access when mounting.   Configure it there to
>>allow the user to mount/unmount and access it.
>

> Ok, so I configure the memstick today, which is /dev/sda1.  I have the proper
> options in fstab to allow the user to do that.  Now, the user plugs in a
> camera (that is managed by usb-storage), it gets /dev/sda, and then he plugs
> in the memstick (which gets /dev/sdb).  Now what?  Tomorrow he adds a USB
> hard drive (already partitioned and formatted, BTW).  Now what?

If it's for a user who only wants it to play like Windows, let kudzu do it.
When you plug in the USB device hotplug and kudzu create an entry for it in
/etc/fstab. In the case of my CF reader its called /mnt/flash.

The user doesn't need to care whether that's going to mount /dev/sda1 or
/dev/sdg99.

For the terminally Windows oriented you can mount it from the desktop by
right-clicking and selecting "Disks->flash".

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555