root cannot login tho sudo user can

Karl L karlh at concentric.net
Wed May 12 16:18:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:54:04 -0400
Bob Chiodini <chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 02:53, Karl L wrote:
> > I suspect that I tried to re-boot while something unlocked was
> > running but the upshot is that I can't login as root.  However,
> > I had previously established myself as a user in the sudoer list
> > with ALL access so I can login as that user (with rw privs).
> >
> > I've checked Messages but with the exception of an irrelevant
> > printing module (char-major-188) that cannot be located during boot
> > I can find nothing to indicate where my problem lies. The boot.log
> > isn't helpful either.  The secure log wasn't any help either though
> > it did report that the "root" listed in sudoer is "unknown"
> >
> > According to what I've read about pam, I believe I can remove
> > the password requirment for root from the console (to which I
> > have full access) but I'd rather fix root's login problem if
> > possible.
> >
> > If there's a troubleshooting HOWTO I've missed or a site where
> > this kind of problem is discussed, I'd appreciate the
> > information.  Since I've run out of my own guesses, I'd also
> > appreciate any advice listers have to offer.
> >
> > I'm running FC1 (2188).
> >

> > Karl L
>
> Karl,
>
> What error do you get?  Are you trying to log into X, a VT, telnet , or
> ssh?
>
> If it's a passwd issue, try sudo su and change root's passwd.
>
> If you're trying to telnet make sure /etc/securetty is intact.
>
> Bob...

Thanks for your reply.  I apologize for not providing more information.
My main problem is that I don't get an error message and can't find anything in the logs that reflects the situation.  But, here's what happens when I try to login as root (and I've tried this with both the smp and non-smp version of 2188 as well as with the previous kernel release with the same result):  I get a username prompt, I enter the username 'root'; I then get a password prompt, I enter the correct root password and then -- a BSOD! (though the mouse cursor is still 'alive').

So, the first thing I tried after this had happened twice was to login as my 'emergency user' (an ALL access sudoer) and entered  'sudo passwd root', got the password change prompt, entered a new password, confirmed it (and it seemed to be accepted normally).  Then I checked /etc/passwd
visually (it seemed OK) but then I checked it with 'sudo /usr/sbin/pwck'
(which should examine both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for syntax problems) and, though both files appeared to be intact, there was no return code from pwck that I could find in any log (even 'sudo /usr/sbin/pwck > pwcktest.txt' produced an empty file).  After this, I tried another root login with the "new" password but got the same Blue Screen of Death as before. BTW, my very first examination of /etc with
ls did turn up a 6-byte password.lock file (which I simply renamed password.lock.problem and left there)

So, as a sudoer, I read thru all the logs in /var/log looking for some indication of the problem but could find nothing that struck my eye (which I hasten to add did not really know what to be looking for, truth be told).

What I'd like to do is follow the sequence of scripts and modules that are called after a successful login but I don't know enough about this system to identify that sequence.  Any guidance here would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl L