lpr and /etc/alternatives/print-lpr

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Wed May 12 17:17:07 UTC 2004

Uttered Fred Nastos <nastos at physics.utoronto.ca>, spake thus:

> > I updated a redhat7.3 system to fedora for a friend (so I don't know
> > all the system details), but now his computer can't print.  It looks
> > like lpr, and associated printing commands are missing.
>
> I figured out the solution.  The /etc/alternatives enetries had to be
> manually linked to the cups versions of lpr, lprm, etc...

Nope, don't need to edit anything manually.  Look up the
"/usr/sbin/alternatives" command line tool.  Print system selection
depends on what printing package you have installed (LPRng, cups).

Cheers!