Antivirus ?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed May 12 17:36:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 10:30, Steven Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:37:30 -0700, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote:
>
> >I've got this working on my laptop. (based on the above link) I'm
> >pulling emails from the server.. but unfortunely, I do not see in the
> >headers that the mails being 'pop'ed from the pop3s (secure pop3) as
> >being scanned by ClamAV.
> >
> >Local (outgoing) mails go get scanned though..
> >
> >Ideas???
> >

> Do you have clamav-milter running on your mail server? That's what scans mail
> as it arrives.  If so, what are the params with which clamav-milter is
> running?  On my system, it's

Yeah.. clamAV & Clamav-milter is running fine. I can see it scanning
outgoing emails.

> /usr/sbin/clamav-milter -lo --max-children=10 --noreject --quiet
> --dont-log-clean --server=localhost local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock
> --quarantine-dir=/var/spool/clamav

CLAMAV_FLAGS="
        --config-file=/etc/clamav.conf
        --max-children=2
        -obl local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.socket
"

> If you're poppng mail from an external server, you can either use fetchmail to
> bring it into your server so it gets processed by the milter or use

Yeah.. That's what I thought.. How do I set fetchmail to poll the server
say every 2 minutes? (I really got to find that out.. Now, I'm just
thinking of setting crontab entry to pull it every 2 min
 (0-59/2 * * * * fetchmymail.sh)

> POP3 Virus Scanner Daemon
>
>     Supports: clamscan
>     This is a full-transparent proxy-server for POP3-Clients. It runs on a
> Linux box with iptables (for port re-direction). It can be used to provide
> POP3 email scanning from the internet, to any internal network and is ideal
> for helping to protect your Other OS LAN from harm, especially when used in
> conjunction with a firewall and other Internet Proxy servers. It is designed
> to enable scanning of incoming email messages for Virus's, Worms, Trojans,
> Spam (read as Un-solicited Bulk Email), and harmfull attachments. Because
> viewing HTML mail can enable a Spammer to validate an email address (by the
> email client automatically reaching out and touching the web host), it can
> also provide HTML stripping. P3Scan is a derived work of POP3VScan. You can
> find more information on using ClamAV with pop3vscan in the FAQ.
>
> See http://www.clamav.net/3rdparty.html#pagestart

I'm looking at that one too. Maybe Fetchmail would be a better / cleaner solution
to my issues.