fedora-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 154

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Wed May 12 22:03:13 UTC 2004

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:45:52 +0000
> From: slukshides at comcast.net
> Subject: Using 1280x800 WXGA resolution on notebook
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>

> Hi All,
>
> I have an eMachines M2105 notebook that has a 1280x800 WXGA display driven by an Intel 82852/82855 GM chip.  The Fedora installer, even test 3 of FC2, does not offer this resolution setting at install time.  Instead the display is run at 1024x768 with the hardware, I suppose, stretching the image to fill the screen.  Several suggestions I came across for using this resolution on other notebooks failed to work with the eMachines M2105.  Of course, eMachines was of absolutely no help.  The latest Knoppix also would not drive the screen at this resolution.
>
> Does anyone else on this list have this machine?  Have you had success getting either the WXGA display resolution or the sound to work?
>
> Also, is anyone aware if FC2 final will suppot WXGA?
>
> Thanks,

This sounds like the same problem I've seen with a cousin of your video
chipset.  If it is the same problem, you have video memory shared with
system memory.  The problem is that the BIOS does not allow you to
allocate enough shared memory to run high resolutions.  The Windows
video driver works around this limitation in the BIOS and manages memory
(so 1280x800 works), but the Fedora driver doesn't, because it's not
trying to do the job that the BIOS should be able to do.

You might get more information about the problem by searching for "Intel
855" or "855 chipset" to confirm what the situation is.

The fixes I've heard of involve downloading patches to the BIOS.  I've
not tried them for support concerns, though, and can't vouch for them.

I've recently heard that Intel has updated BIOSes for the 845/855 etc.
chipsets, so you might find a solution on the Intel Web site.

Hope this helps.

Erik

--
Erik Hemdal <ehemdal at townisp.com>