partition limits on scsi drives?

Klaus Steinberger Klaus.Steinberger at Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Thu May 13 05:16:24 UTC 2004

 > > Do scsi drives have this same partition limit as ide drives or is this
 > > a limitation of the fdisk tool or system bios?

 > Essentially, LBA (and SCSI) make the disk look like a contiguous string
 > of "N" blocks, rather than IDE's native method of cylinder, head, sector

Yep, Rick has given you a very good explanation. Additionally I would suggest
you to look into LVM. With LVM you can leave those general limits of the
partition system behind you.

The traditional partitions have the following limits:

1. They are not very flexible, especially you normally can't extend partitions
    (ok, Partion Magic can do that, but with the cost of long downtime)
2. You can't change them without unmounting all partitions.
3. Especially on the system disk you can't change them without reboot (back to
    the M$ behavior .... )

So you have to plan very carefully you're system

With LVM you can make logical partitions, you can extend them, and you even can
add additional disks into a Volume Group, so you can even extend filesystems
over disks (of course don't do that without an RAID underneath!)

Extension of filesystems can happen online (depending on used filesystem).

With the Fedora installer you will be even able to put the system (root, swap
etc.) on top of LVM.

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger         Maier-Leibnitz Labor
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287  Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany

In a world without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates