Speaking of tar, Can I use it to BU my win98 partition.

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu May 13 11:50:40 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 13, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha did say:

> Information in DOS boot sector. And in older DOS, the boot files had to be
> in specific locations.
>
> There are other issues with using tar:
> 1) dosfs uses a different set of attributes: hidden, archive, system and
> read-only, and only the read-only bit is exported/used under linux
> 2) dosfs has two entries for long filenames: the shorter version and the
> longer version split in several parts. I wouldn't expect problems when
> software use the long names, but when extracting the files under linux
> there's no guarantee that the short name will be the same as before. If
> any software (under windows) uses the short name directly, then you're
> likely to have problems.

Thank you for the warning... Guess I'll continue to make partimage
partition backups of /dev/hda1 then... ;) It's still a fair mix of linux
based system back-up. The gentoo linux partimage cd includes tar and
gzip/gunzip so it doesn't hurt to bundle one of those with every archive
set anyway...