Turn on Scsi Support?

david at nicholson.f9.co.uk david at nicholson.f9.co.uk
Thu May 13 12:10:45 UTC 2004

Fedora Core  2.4.22-1.2188.nptl i686                        athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I have a pockey USB drive and it is detected by the
usb filesystem.

dmesg
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.1-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4a9/0x1084) is not claimed by any active driver.

I should be able to mount it as /dev/sda1 but I get the message that sda1 is not a valid block device.

According to http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x498.html
"How to get usb devices working under Linux"

"Since the mass storage driver presents the USB device as a SCSI device, you need to turn on SCSI support, which is under SCSI support in the configuration script."

My question then is: Do I have to recompile the kernel in order to turn on this scsi support?
Is there some sort of patch that will do this for me or is there yet another conf file hidden away somewhere of which I am ignorant.

when I do %modprobe -a, I get:
alias scsi_hostadapter off
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd