needs advice

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Thu May 13 16:27:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 23:42, Robert Jasinski wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm a old (67)newbie who has just installed fc1 (about 2 wks ago) and I
> couldn't be more tickled if you attacked me with a feather.  Except for
> printing which is mostly equipment problems.  I am planing to replace my
> Lexmark Z22 with a multi function printer and need to know from people
> who have them which one is best.  I also need to have a dot matrix
> printer to print multi part forms.  I haven't been able to get my
> Panasonic KX-P1124i to work properly under Linux so I'll need a
> replacement for it.  I hope someone can help.   Thanks   Bob

I'm using an Epson Stylus CX5400 as both scanner and printer off of my
Dell laptop under FC1. I had to do a little searching to find how to
configure it, but truthfully it wasn't that difficult to do once I found
what to do. It seems to work well and the CUPS drivers for C80 - C85
work just fine for printing, though I have used the CX5200 driver as
well. Keep in mind that the CX5400 lacks a modem for faxing. The unit's
front panel allows for general copying and scanning without the
computer, making it a nice standalone piece of office equipment, too.
The most notable attribute of the new Epson's is the use of Durabrite
inks which offer a rather permanent solution that resists water and is
brighter than some other inks. I also like the larger capacity, separate
ink cartridges for each of the three colors and black. I believe the
cost of ink is less than HP or Lexmark, too.

The printer hasn't received the best ratings for speed and quality, but
for what I use it for, it was a good choice.

HTH,

Paul