single linux box on dsl?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu May 13 19:37:08 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>Guy Fraser said:
>

>>Yes FC1 does use TCP ports for X11.
>>

>No, it doesn't.  Just one example of many:
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg04180.html

Again with the XDMCP session management access.

RTFM about gdm.conf.

You do not need to use kdm,gdm or xdm to run X.

>>XDMCP does not use TCP by default, so you can't access a remote desktop
>>but the display is still listening. You use xhost to control access to
>>the display.
>>

>No, you can't.  It is not listening.

Selective editing can't save you. If you don't know what your talking
about, admit you don't and learn. If you have an Xserver running you
will have and open TCP port = 6000 + display_number. If you do not have
a port listening, then you are not running X, you may be running some
other graphical interface but it is not X.

Before you rebut this you better do some serious reading.

I have been using X for over a decade, and have yet to come accross
a version that will work without a tcp stack. If you can point me to
a document written by an XFree86 or Xorg that describes the
configuration of X with out a tcp stack, I will retract my statement.