Hardware reccomondation - SCSI

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri May 14 02:08:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 06:55:19PM -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > >What I would like to do is replace my adaptec SCSI card with a better
> > >(faster) card that is well supported by Linux - and attach 4 fast/big
> > >SCSI hard disks.
> > Well, I have two Adaptec 29160 cards that I need to sell.
> If I'm not mistaken - that's a 64-bit PCI card and my PCI slots are I
> believe 32-bit.

That's okay. They'll fit in the 32-bit slots and extra bits will hang over
the edge, and they'll act as 32-bit cards. (Really!)

But, without a 64-bit PCI bus, you aren't really going to see the full speed
improvement. And even then, that improvement isn't likely to be much in a
practical sense under most loads.