single linux box on dsl?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Fri May 14 02:37:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:44:45PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

<snip>
> I have done some trying to get X forwarding running via ssh.
>
> I use cygwin to log in from my work pc via ssh to my linux box but as
> yet have been unable to get the X forwarding to cooperate even after
> trying all the steps listed on the various sites I found with google.
> There is no firewall at issue here. I must be missing something subtle,
> but am at a loss as to what.
>
> Can you provide any pointers/instructions on how you made this work
> properly.
<snip>

I do it at work all the time. You need to ensure:

- Your ssh client is asking for X forwarding from the server.
- Your ssh server is configured to provide X forwarding.
- You have sufficient privileges to run the app being forwarded.

Other than that, it just works. But to remind yourself that you are only
running at network speed, try firing up your biggest java memory hog and
see why you may want to be careful what you forward.
--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca