VNC (Virtual Network Computing) question - Stunnel

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri May 14 11:37:01 UTC 2004

Another option is to use Stunnel to secure the connection.
http://www.stunnel.org/examples/vnc.html

That shows how I had set it up for Windows, but basically the same
for Linux. I use it with my Red Hat 9 and Fedora machines at school.

stunnel.conf file
client = no
cert = /etc/stunnel/stunnel.pem

[vnc]
accept = 7779
connect = 5979

The pem file goes in the same directory.

rc.local has the line to start stunnel
stunnel /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf

The vncservers file in /etc/sysconfig has the line to start vnc
VNCSERVERS="79:userid"

You have to activate the service, and if you want more than one
port, you use "79:user1  80:user2 ... "

The client works for accessing Windows, NT or Linux.