Why Would Fedora be Free ? Can it be Trusted?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri May 14 12:21:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 10:01 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> While your explanation of the birth of GNU/Linux is excellent, the above
> paragraphs are a crock. As far as I know and recall, only a very small part
> of the software market "used to have" those four freedoms. None of the
> early Unix variants that I recall were either Free (capitalized to mean
> open-source and with those freedoms) or free (with a price of zero). No
> Apple or IBM software that I recall in the late 1970's and early 1980's was
> Free or free. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of a single major
> operating system or application at that time which was Free or free. Lots
> of wonderful little shareware programs, but nothing major.

I think that copyright only started being applied more or less near 1976
tn the fourth major revision of the U.S. Copyright Act, in anticipation
of becoming a Berne convention signator.

> So unless I am mistaken, the Four Freedoms of the GNU Project were not a
> return to an earlier status quo, but rather a new and innovative way to
> look at the software industry. Nothing wrong with that, of course... it's
> just not the same story.
>
> > >  5.  Does Redhat use the
> > > same processes in "controlling" fedora quality and releases as it did
> > > the free versions of Redhat?
> >
> >I think not, since they are interested in touting the advantages of
> >their Enterprise line.
>
> Incorrect. Red Hat has more people working on Fedora now than they had
> working on Red Hat Linux then. Plus, it would make no sense to have two
> separate Quality Assurance processes. Hence, the answer is that yes, Red
> Hat *does* use the same processes in search of quality assurance for Fedora
> as they did for RHL.

Only so far as they need it for RHEL. I don't think they apply the same
process, although it might follow very similar task lists.

RUui