Running GNOME over SSH

Mark Haney mark.haney at doctordirectory.com
Fri May 14 14:48:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:03:36 +0900 (JST), d l <popgojp at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> I assume you are using cygwin/X on winxp.
> Modifiy /usr/X11R6/binstartxwin.sh in your cygwin root.
> Instead of firing up twm, make it start gnome-session
> instead.
>
> If all you want is just to get a remote desktop, using VNC
> will be far easier than fuddling with X.
>
> Regards,
> D. Lee

You are correct in that. However, not having used cygwin much, I had no
clue that that script even existed. I had followed the HOWTo that had me
build a new shell script to run KDE.  Thanks for the tip.  And yeah for
the most part all I want is a remote desktop, but I'd just like to learn
how to do it this way, mostly for the fun of it.