camera revisited

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Fri May 14 16:55:48 UTC 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 17:35, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Yes, I ran down anything that looked like an executable and nuked it.
> Before I did that, the bootup hung for serveral minutes, and generated
> megabytes of logging about stuff it couldn't find, or even hung the
> boot completely.  That was at least 6 months back up the log, maybe 8
> or 9.

You need hotplug working to do what you are trying to do with the camera.  So
nothing will work on that front until you have hotplug happy again.

> Now, I've reinstalled hotplug-2004_01_05-1.noarch.rpm and
> hotplug-base-2004_01_05-1.noarch.rpm, and the boot is stalling on
> "Starting hotplug" for about a minute now, much faster than before,
> and my logs are filled with messages about not finding ide_probe_mod
> and ide_probe.  Now, the interesting thing is that in my updated
> modprobe.conf, those module aliases are listed as ide-probe and
> ide-probe-mod, note switch from underscore to dash as separators????

I don't know what these modules do, but I think you can get around the errors
by adding

install ide-probe /bin/true
install ide-probe-mod /bin/true

in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Actually, that might not be the best advice, read on.

> May 14 08:01:28 coyote kernel: usb 3-2.2: new full speed USB device using
> address 6 May 14 08:01:28 coyote kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB
> Mass Storage devices May 14 08:01:28 coyote kernel:   Vendor: OLYMPUS
> Model: C-3020ZOOM(U)     Rev: 1.00 May 14 08:01:28 coyote kernel:   Type:
> Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02 May 14 08:01:28
> coyote kernel: Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,
> type 0 May 14 08:01:28 coyote scsi.agent[3039]: disk at
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.4/usb3/3-2/3-2.2/3-2.2:1.0/host1/1:0:0:0 May
> 14 08:01:28 coyote modprobe: FATAL: Module sd_mod not found.

This looks bad.  USB storage devices pretend to be SCSI.  It looks like your
kernel config does not have [some kind of] SCSI support selected as a module.
Possibly your config lacks some kind of IDE support as a module too, which
would explain the other errors.

You have two choices as I see it.  First, instead of using a random "Gene"
kernel config, use the one from Redhat.  If you look inside a Redhat 2.6
kernel RPM, you will see a /boot/config-<version> file which is the
kernel .config that the Redhat kernel was compiled with.  Copy this to
be .config in your kernel tree and make oldconfig (I think that will do).

Second, why do you need a custom kernel?  Why not use a Redhat RPM-packaged
one.  All this pain will just go away.  New pain may come, but less than this
toothache.

> Call me puzzled, a whole lot...

UR a whole lot Puzzled.

- -Andy

- --
Automatic actions for USB cameras, cardreaders, memory sticks, MP3 players
http://warmcat.com/usbautocam