Nforce2 chipset

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 22:56:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:29:45AM -0700, Hesty P wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm planning to upgrade my computer and installing FC2
> on it. Is there any pitfall with NForce 2 chipset that
> I should be aware of? I recall some problem with the
> onboard LAN with the nvnet driver. Is that resolved
> now?

Hesty,
  I'm using an Abit NF7-S with the nForce2 chipset and have had no
problems. I had to download the nVidia chipset drivers through Windows
as the onboard ethernet doesn't work without drivers. My board uses the
Realtek 8201BL physical interface layer as part of the ethernet chipset,
but I still needed the nVidia drivers.
  It's kind of a pain to have to reinstall the drivers every time I
upgrade the kernel, but once you've done it, document the process so
you don't have to figure it out again next time. As far as functionality
goes, under Linux it does just fine. Windows XP, on the other hand,
insists on a regular basis that I install the WHQLed drivers for the
audio chipset. These drivers cause the system to crash hard just
seconds after boot.  :)
  As long as you don't mind installing third party drivers on a regular
basis, it works fine (and as others have said, you may not even need
to do that).

Later,
  Jeff