Nforce2 chipset

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri May 14 22:06:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 01:00:11PM -0500, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> Hesty P wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I'm planning to upgrade my computer and installing FC2
> >on it. Is there any pitfall with NForce 2 chipset that
> >I should be aware of? I recall some problem with the
> >onboard LAN with the nvnet driver. Is that resolved
> >now?
> >
> >I'm also planning to get Radeon 9200/9600 video card.
> >Any problem that I should be aware of?
> >
> Running the Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 for the last 6 months with no
> problems. This mobo uses a RealTek 8169 Gbit lan, and not the nforce
> NIC, so I  did not need to use the close-sourced drivers from Nvidia.
> The Nvidia driver for the sound chip actually worked worse than the
> standard intel8x0 driver that the installed configured.
>
> I also have the Radeon 9200, and it works well for 2D, and just fair for
> 3D with the XFree86 drivers.

I'm with Randy!

On his recommendation I bought the same board he has (actually mine is
version 2 of the board and I think his is 1.x) available at good prices
from newegg dot com. I'm running Tao Linux on mine but having the same good
results he reports. The install identifies audio hardware and just works
(haven't tried the 6-channel stuff), and network works out of the box
too as long as I'm satisfied with the 10/100 speed. (I suspect I'd need
a different driver if I wanted gigabit speed, but I don't, so I'm happy!)

I'm running a Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 board and it runs great too.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked