cd burning utilities

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat May 15 00:16:59 UTC 2004

fredex wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:11:32AM -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>
>>It would appear that on Thu, 13 May 2004, Fred Smith did say:
>
> <snippage>
>
>>>The Gnome that comes with RHEL 3.0 (or Tao or I assume WhiteBox) and
>>>probably also fedora, has an automatic thing that pops up when you insert
>>>a blank CD, a window into which you just drag files. When ready to burn,
>>>click the "burn" icon. I haven't figured out hwo to burn an ISO image
>>>that way, despite having found a document that tells how (it doesn't
>>>match the program on my Tao box).

You can disable that auto-burn thing by:

	RedHat icon->Preferences->CD Propertes

and unchecking the "Run command with blank CD is inserted" option.  If
you want to burn an ISO image, just close that bloody Nautilus window
"cdrecord -v name-of-iso-file" on the command line.

>>Ouch! Gag me with a spoon! <snicker> I couldn't put up with that
>>automatic thing no how! I can't stand any software that starts by itself
>>just because I popped something in the cd (one of the original reasons I
>>decided to dislike windoze) And drag n drop is the most annoying method
>>of starting a file copy routine I have ever experienced. I'd find it less
>>annoying to have to type a command line string longer than some of my
>>emails...  And that's saying a lot ;)

I agree there.  That autostart crap is annoying.  Thank goodness you can
turn it off!

> I can't say I disagree with you! The command-line is your friend!
>
> (I get frustrated with windows users who would rather spend an hour clicking
> away than to spend 20 seconds typing a command).

But Windows is so helpful! (tongue planted firmly in cheek) ;-)

Linux:  For when you take the training wheels off!
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -