pcmcia issues/Xircom/D-Link

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 15 03:34:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 22:14, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 21:42, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> > If you look in /etc/rc5.d, what are the numbers associated with network
> > and pcmcia?
> > On mine by default the network is S10 and the pcmcia is S24.  This means
> > that the network using a pcmcpa card cannot work on boot.
> > If you change the numbers to have the pcmcia services start before the
> > network starts it will solve your problem.
> >

> Thank you.  That explains what I was seeing and why the xircom card was
> not able to work at boot.

Gave that a try.  Still seems to be a problem.  Changed the pcmcia
startup as suggested.  Can see it during startup in the order I would
expect now.  It appears to setup eth0 as I would expect as well.

But once it is up the interface has an IP from DHCP but nothing gets in
or out.  I pull the card and reinsert it and then it works just fine.

ifconfig shows the interface up and everything the same in both cases.
After a reboot I even see RX and TX packets.  But if I try to ping
something on the lan it is no good.

Have a work around, pop the card out and back in.  Annoying but it
works.

Now I need to get back to getting a wireless card working.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>