Bug in util-linux

Nuno Tavares nunotavares at hotmail.com
Sat May 15 03:51:38 UTC 2004

I'm forwarding my mail to the author, since it's no longer valid (it was
returned). BTW, there is a newer version of util-linux than that on
fedora-core-1.

Andries Brouwer and others,

I got this e-mail address from Freshmeat.
I'm using Fedora Core 1, util-linux-2.11y-29.

I accidentally found a bug in fdisk. How to reproduce:
# fdisk /dev/hdb

[...]

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10239860736 bytes
[...]
  Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1       123    987966   83  Linux
/dev/hdb2           124       246    987997+  83  Linux

Command (m for help): a
Partition number (1-4): 3
Warning: partition 3 has empty type

Command (m for help): n
Command action
  e   extended
  p   primary partition (1-4)
Selected partition 4
First cylinder (247-1244, default 247):

It automatically selected partition 4, as if partition 3 existed. If I skip the "a" command, it will ask which partition I want for command "n" (from 3,4), which is the correct behaviour.

Hope that helps,
--
Nuno Tavares