Which Linux to use

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sat May 15 18:41:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 11:58, Srinivasan S wrote:
> I have an old 486 PC with Windoze 95 ..
> rather than throw it away I want to install Linux and give it to my daughter for education ...
>
> Can I install Fedora ?  What is the best linux to install on a 486 PC/540 MB Hard disk/32 MB RAM ?

You could install a very small Debian system (http://debian.org/) but it
won't be very fast by itself.

If you have a network then you can use the 486 system as a X terminal.
On the newer computer running Fedora, disable (or reconfigure) the
firewall and enable XDMCP.  To enable XDMCP on Fedora run gdmsetup
(System Settings -> Login Screen).

Start X on the 486 with the -broadcast option.  For example:
  /usr/X11R6/bin/X -broadcast

Or login to a specific computer from the 486:
  /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query fedora-computer

Here are a few articles which discuss turning a 486 into a X Terminal:
  http://ebusiness.gbdirect.co.uk/case_studies/xterminal.html
  http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue27/kaszeta.html

--
 David Norris