fc2 or not, that is the question...

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Sat May 15 21:10:09 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 12:13:06PM -0400, Jay Daniels wrote:
> i am seriously considering ol' faithful slackware for the server since
> it still has apache 1.3... and a few apps i want to use require 1.3.
[snip tons of stuff]

It sounds to me like Slackware may be the best distribution for your
situation. You may also want to try Gentoo <http://www.gentoo.org/>.

If you want something like Red Hat 7.x, you could use Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 2.1ES or AS. And if you don't want to pay that kind of money, you
could use CentOS-2 <http://www.centos.org/>. RHEL 2.1ES, 2.1AS, and
CentOS-2 don't hit end-of-life until sometime in 2007, and they still
use Apache 1.3. (Or you could use Red Hat 7.2 or 7.3 and update it with
Fedora Legacy.)

In any case, it sounds like Fedora is not the right distribution for
your situation. It sounds like you need something that doesn't push the
envelope the way that Fedora does.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>