Sound help AC97

Ronald J Boyer Jr rboyer at gra.midco.net
Sun May 16 02:55:21 UTC 2004

Greetings,

As my first post to the list, forgive me if I make a newbie mistake; and
along with my greetings, thanks for everyone for all the help you offer
here.

To start, I have FC1 freshly installed in a HP pavilion 551w:

=====
CDROM: Mitsumi CR-48X9TE
/dev/scd0

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SV4002H
/dev/hda
	hda1	ext3
	hda2	ext3
	hda3	linux-swap

Sound Cards: Sound Controller - SiS, driver i810_audio

=====

Problem:
I can hear system sounds, but I can not play audio CD's through any
application on my current system (full installation).

At first, I thought it may have been permissions, but I logged in as
root and ran into the same problem -- no sound except system sounds.

After doing searches on the internet, trying to find the details about
my sound card and how to get sound on my computer, I found that HP lists
my sound as AC97 Audio. Further searches produce links to AC97 audio
controller info...

In trying to resolute, I made matters worse (possibly) by following
directions http://foolish.digitalinc.info/docs/alsa/.
I worked my way down the page to "Loading the ALSA-drivers" and was
guided to look up my sound card (yes, I know I should have found the
exact details first, regarding compatibility - woops).

A few of the commands list on the above link didn't give me all the
details I needed about my sound card (modprobe?), so I checked my system
log and found the following:

=====
May 15 11:13:31 localhost kernel: i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0xb400 and
0xb800, MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000, IRQ 9
May 15 11:13:31 localhost kernel: i810_audio: Audio Controller supports
6 channels.
May 15 11:13:31 localhost kernel: i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2
channel mode.
May 15 11:13:31 localhost kernel: i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
May 15 11:13:31 localhost kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:
ADS96 (Analog Devices AD1885)
May 15 11:13:31 localhost kernel: i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to
map surround DAC's (or DAC's not present), total channels = 2
=====

At this point, I'm a bit lost, not knowing much about linux. I won't
hesitate to do a fresh install if it will help due to tinkering with my
driver information and if I can remedy this by changing my
selections/choices during installation.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be a relief.
Any advice would be appreciated. If anything, please use soft fruit if
you start throwing things at me... I'm exiting stage left now.
--

TIA,

Ronald J Boyer Jr