how to change the port vnc is running?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sun May 16 11:11:52 UTC 2004

Chris Kloiber wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 00:58, Gustavo Rahal wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>How to change the port vncserver is running? Actually, I don't know if
>>the port change is something to do with X or vnc.
>>The situation is that I want to access my PC that is inside a home
>>network (there is a server doing NAT with iptables). I already have
>>access to the server from outside but I would like to access my computer
>>(ip 192.168.....) so I imagine that I would have to do a port forward to
>>my PC, is that right? Since the server is already running vncserver I
>>have to forward different ports...
>>
>>Appreciate any help
>>
>>Gustavo
>>

>I do something similar at my parents house. I have a linux
>firewall/gateway machine set up to protect both my parents Windows XP
>systems (sorry, can't convert them now) and I have things arranged such
>that I can run VNC over SSH to the gateway, then run vncviewer on the
>gateway and view my parents desktops. This works out very well if you
>run a 1280x1024 desktop, and the windows boxes happen to be at 1024x768.
>Make the VNC desktop size on the gateway 1152x864 and you get Windows in
>a window on your desktop. Neat and reasonably fast on a cable modem
>connection.

Or just tunnel the vnc in ssh, and make vncviewer set up the connection:
vncviewer privatepcip:0 -via gateway.domain.tld

or if your account on gateway has a different name:
vncviewer privatepcip:0 -via user at gateway.domain.tld

Where privatepcip is the private address/hostname of the pc running vnc
as known by the gateway, and gateway.domain.tld is the gateway public
address/name.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021