How-to set up weekly backup onto a separate HDD?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun May 16 15:28:00 UTC 2004

Am So, den 16.05.2004 schrieb Coume - Lubox.com um 17:06:

> Hello (again),
>
> When I will have reinstall the new FC, I want to set up weekly backup on my vital data onto a separate
> HDD which is plugged though USB. I had this idea, since the nice powercut from next week which gave
> me lots lots of trouble to restart my FC computer giving Keernel Panic, it also explain why I cannot wait
> to clean everything an install FC2 :)
>
> How can I do that kind of backup? Is there tools that can manage that? or should I juste use a basic cron
> that makes a tar.gz?
> The annoying thing with tar.gz IMHO is that it will always backup everything, when it could be easier and far
> more quicker to have an incremental stuff to  backup only the modified files...

We just had a thread about backup tools, using a harddisk as target
drive. Please use the list's archive, thread's topic

"Backup soution to another server"

Some mentioned tools do not require a remote central backup host.

> any idea and tips are welcome :)
> thxs
> Ludo

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 17:24:40 up 3 days, 15:09, load average: 0.39, 0.21, 0.18
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]