Headless dedicated server running FC1, how do I get FC2?

Bill Williamson batkiwi at happychinchilla.com
Sun May 16 23:50:08 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:35:07AM +1000, Bill Williamson wrote:
>>Is there a supported or suggested upgrade procedure for people who don't
>>have physical access to their FC1 box, or are we stuck praying nothing
> Really, there's not. Is there any on-site maintenance? Were I in this
> situation, I'd leave the box at FC1 rather than attempting a yum or apt
> upgrade.

-Serverbeach server.  Was originally RH9, I bumped it up to FC1 once I'd
tested it at home due to RHDL being whacked.
-I live in Australia, my box is somewhere in texas I think.  No go there.
-Their onsite-maint is basically "restore you to last backup/image."
-What do I do once FC1 stops updating?

--begin rant, ignore this bit--
I'm trying not to get livid at this revelation, but this really is a
crappy thing to do to early adopters.  I loved the idea of a yum/apt
based RH that was constantly updating, and was amoung those who defended
FC against all the unfounded FUD being spread.  Now I'm being hung out
to dry, whereas had I done what everyone was screaming and just gone to
debian or gentoo, I'd be fine.

I know no one owes it to ME to make it work/etc, but I'm basically
screwed now for supporting what I thought was a good thing.
--end rant--

Hopefully I'll get some other suggestions though :)  Other than this my
FC experience has been tip top.