Headless dedicated server running FC1, how do I get FC2?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 23:59:27 UTC 2004

Bill Williamson said:
> The subject just about says it all :)
>
> Is there a supported or suggested upgrade procedure for people who don't
> have physical access to their FC1 box, or are we stuck praying nothing
> goes with with apt-get or yum?  If we're forced to use apt-get or yum,
> which is reccomended as being safer for the upgrade?

Since the installer is a self contained disk image, it can be booted from
grub:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg02978.html

>From there you could do a kickstart install or a VNC install.

"Safer" on the other hand is relative.  If something goes wrong during the
you may be SOL.  If you have a second identical system locally you could
test the upgrade on that and should be able to catch any issues.  Or
upgrade a system locally and have your remote people swap them out.

--
William Hooper