Problems getting 2 NICs to work.

Kevin Kimmell kevin at dynamictrend.com
Mon May 17 14:01:27 UTC 2004

I didn't realize I was "hijacking" a thread. I reviewed all of the
threads that accumulated over the weekend and didn't see anything that
appeared to cover this topic. I did post this same message to a forum
and have got little response so I thought posting to this somewhat
active list might garner quicker help. I apologize for any rules that I
broke.

The patch level I'm using is .2188 on all machines.

Running the "ping -I eth1 yahoo.com" results in an unknow host error.
All troubleshooting techniques that I would use for normal network
problems seem to say that traffic isn't getting past the machine when I
have the 2nd NIC running.

The separate IPs are set up on two physically separate NICs so I am not
using aliases. Since the 2 different class C's are running over the same
switch plane I did initially try to use virtual/aliased IPs on the main
eth interface but when I had problems decided to just enable the 2nd NICs.

The newest machine that I set up is using patch level 2115 and I let
Fedora do the networking setup via the graphical installation and I gave
each ethernet interface an available IP on the two different networks
but it still has this same problem. I'm reading that entire HOW-TO now
and hope to find something to help. If anyone has anything else for me
to try, I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
Kevin