Problems with Fedora PHP and Apache

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Mon May 17 14:56:21 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Well, since the OP hasn't provided any more info, might as well continue
> this discussion...
>
> John Nichel said:
>
>>William Hooper wrote:
>>
>>>John Nichel said:
>>>[snip]

>>>Why?
>>
>>Custom configuration.  And such things as MySQL (the php-mysql rpm is
>>compiled against the 3.x libraries), but since I use 4.x, I would rather
>>compile with that.
>

> So, based on your needs, your blanket recommendation is that everyone
> should install Apache and PHP from source?  Many people are using the
> provided RPMs just fine.

Not to reopen the "old school vs. new school" debate again, but I feel
that if one is going to take on an endouver such as running their own
web server, they will be better informed on how to
configure/troubleshoot the application if they install from source vs.
something like an RPM which is supposed to do it for you.  Not to say
that RPM's don't work, but in many instances they don't provide what the
user thinks he/she is getting.  Granted, this is a user issue, and not a
RPM issue, but we wouldn't see as many, "why doesn't this work..."
questions.

>>I like how Joe calls it FUD by _some_ members of the PHP community.  How
>>about THE member of the PHP community?  I defer to just one of the many
>>Ramsus Lerdorf responses....
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=107920318223044&w=2
>

> So this is to say that php.net mirror servers are not
> "production-quality"?  I can understand the PHP developers suggesting
> Apache1 over Apache2, but to the extent they go it is (as Joe pointed out)
> FUD.

"They" are Ramsus Lerdorf, the creator of PHP.  The issue isn't with
PHP/Apache2 per se, but with third party modules in PHP and Apache2's
multi-threading.  Joe can call it FUD, but if the creator of PHP says
it's not to be considered production stable, I take his word over Joe's.
  If Joe tells me that Fedora 2 isn't production stable, I'll take his
word over someone like Ramsus.

--
John C. Nichel
KegWorks.com