Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a Good Thing [tm]

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon May 17 17:16:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 11:01 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Hopefully in the future we will improve yet again, with such a strong Linux
> market presence that open-sourcing a driver becomes a competitive advantage
> instead of a disadvantage. Right now, they claim open-sourcing the full
> driver would help other makers sell more cards and would hurt them
> financially... and while you may not agree, they are entitled to make that
> choice. And I find it reasonable at this point in time.

That is ridiculous. Free Software having drivers _is_ a market
advantage.
Their real problem is software they didn't do themselves, so they're
reselling encumbered software with their cards.

So I've come to the conclusion that they're not so good at all.

> >Your option, and I advise against recommending it.
> My option, and my opinion, and I'll advocate it as I damn well please,
> thank you very much.

Sure, unlike with non-Free software, there still is freedom of speech :)

> Unfortunately, in this case as in others before, you propose drastic,
> life-or-death comparisons which I find unrealistic, simplistic, and
> implausible.

Is it implausible to use other cards, which are in turn supported?
It wasn't for me, that's for sure...

>  Then you additionally go on to suggest that those who disagree
> with you keep their mouths shut. If you value freedom, why do you seek to
> silence anyone with a different opinion? If you value choice, why do you
> not respect the choices of others? Why must you have everything done Your Way?

I don't seek silence of others. I don't remember forcing you threatning
to hurt you otherwise, did I?
It is you who are making an emotional blackmail... "if you value..."

I've as much right to say your opinion is bad as you have of expressing
it.

> Blindly advocating "Utopia or Death"

I'm not advocating anything blindly, I've thought like you did many
years ago, but I've come to know better by giving some time to think
this issues through. Have you done that, or did you just say:

  well, this works so I'm happy?

McDonald's food will also work on feeding you... is it godd for your
health? :)

>  and actually exerting an effort to
> suppress anyone who dares digress from the "UOD party line" serves only to
> brand you a radical, a zealot, and an ass. It destroys whatever credibility
> you might have earned in this community.

Again, while I don't try to make you do anything from behind the barrel
of a shotgun, I think who is being radical is you.
I've expressed my opinion in contrast with yours and now you're branding
me with radical accusations.

> Why don't you try to create, suggest, and promote a way for things to
> improve, instead of just bitching about the current state of affairs? No
> sarcasm intended... I'd love to hear *useful*, *realistic*, and
> *productive* suggestions about how to improve this situation.

Not buying their stuff and buying stuff from cards that respect your
freedom.

This is quite realistic, it's how the market has evolved through the
millenia.

It is you who don't realize that you're being cheated, as a costumer,
buying the package for the bright colours, accepting to be treated like
a criminal having to agree to outrageous conditions in order to have 3D.

Rui