The future of Diskette bootstraps

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Mon May 17 18:58:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, david wrote:

> One of my systems does not support CD-ROM boostrap.  FC1 provided a
> bootstrap diskette which solved the problem, and let me install from the
> network or from CDROM, both of which worked for me.
>
> Is this capability going to be maintained in future version of Fedora?
>
> If not, is there some option that would work?
>
> David Kurn

I've had the same problem. Some of my computers do not even have cdroms in them. So,
I created a network aware grub boot floppy. It can load the kernel and initial ramdisk
from a tftp server.

http://www.hp.uab.edu/~ed/grub-net

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open,
and unhindered encryption.