sendmail milter for fc1?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 17 23:07:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 13:50, Mike Rambour wrote:
> >Spam and virus scanning is pretty trivial using the postfix system, many
> >great howtos on it and soon to be a very good rpm based instruction set
> >starting from the ground up.
>
>   Good because after a week of frustration, I finally turned on the machine
> with no SPAM checking, I read everything I could find.  All I wanted was
> SpamAssassin to check all incoming system wide e-mails and throw SPAM away
> or put it in a folder but throw away was fine.  I could make it work for a
> individual user if they checked mail locally using Pine or Elm but my users
> check mail with either POP or Webmail.  Looking forward to a ground up
> instruction set.
>
>   Mike

I set this up using sendmail/spamassassin/procmail.  I think this is the
url that had the best information for doing this.

http://sharkysoft.com/tutorials/linuxtips/spam/

A couple of things I did differently was to add a rule in procmail to
flag a message when it went through so spamassassin did not get run
against the same message twice.  Also to have a single bayseian database
I invoked spamc with the -u option to specify a dedicated user
(spamuser) so the database is kept under that users home directory.

The only other thing you need to know is that the bayseian database
rules are not applied until you have run several hundred spam and ham
messages through it.  The easiest way to do that is to use sa-learn to
process known spam and ham which you can collect from yours or other
users accounts.

This has worked very well.  In the last few weeks there has been a
tremendous increase in spam, I think due to several worms that have hit
the net.

Suggest at first you move all spam to a holding area so you can review
it to make sure you do not see any false positives.  I did not see any
real problems with that here but it is better to be safe about it.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>