Hey Fedora List

Mike Bartman omni at omniphile.com
Tue May 18 01:15:45 UTC 2004

At 11:00 AM 5/17/04 -0400, duncan brown wrote:

>John Nichel said:
>
>> The OP's message ranks right up there with the phone company who calls
>> you to offer you a plan to stop unwanted tele-marketing calls...or the
>> SPAMMER who SPAM's you with an email offering to sell you a product to
>> stop SPAM.
>
>i'm having flashbacks to before my mother ran fc1, her xp machine kept on
>getting those messenger windows, and every 10th or so was a random offer
>to sell you software that blocked it... ranging from like $5 to $50...

They used to call that sort of thing a "protection racket"...there were
laws against it (see: extortion).

Since those laws seem to be in abeyance these days, maybe I should start an
assurance company?  You pay us, and we assure you we won't break your legs...

-- Mike Bartman

"The national budget must be balanced.  The public debt must be reduced;
the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled.
Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want
to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on
public assistance."

                             -- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.